Last visit was: It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: About this new section...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:16 am 
Semi Retired

Well it's really just been renamed, but now it's the official section for all talk or getting help on anything to do with the tech side of Digital TV, BT TV, or anything else in regard to your equipment.

I picked up some good general knowledge on many things digital recently, and often I see people needing info on the subject, so I or anyone else can now help you work some stuff out.

My working rule to do with the legalities for BT TV is as follows, you can discuss it, use of it etc, but please no links to sites where it can be obtained, and try to refrain from mentioning the sites by name directly, as it creates all sorts of search links through the goggle bot engines etc.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: bt tv
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:30 am 
Harmony

what is bt tv bishop?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: bt tv
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:01 am 
Semi Retired

tabath wrote:
what is bt tv bishop?

BT TV is how I manage to stay current with the US on most TV series I am interested in, it stands for Bit Torrent TV, basicly if people from outside the US want to watch some series, they need to visit certian sites and use a torrent program to get the content they want.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:47 am 
Harmony

Oh right thanks, which client do you use?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:23 am 
Midnight Chameleon

tabath wrote:
Oh right thanks, which client do you use?

There are so many to use depending on your system, your connection and your ISP (AOL sucks for 3rd party download programs) and each one suits different people.

Personally I use Azures over any of the others because that gives me better ul and dl and has a better interface for me, plus it doesn't screw with my connection.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:39 am 
Harmony

Thanks I will take a look at it. I would love to get up to were the US is with heroes and catch up on Veronica Mars

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:12 pm 
Harmony

Well I dl 'd azureus and found heroes ep6 which I dl'd. Now I know the basic principle of how torents work but not how to maximise the download speed. I'm on an %gb cap with my isp at the moment so I don't want to be upload too much when running the client. How much should I expext to upload with every download. For heroes I think I uploaded 380 gb to 352 gb downloaded. Is this normal ? What arfe the best setiings for the sppeds? I wqas gennerally gettin about 20 to 30 kbits per sec down. Any help on other features I should look at would be appreciated as would a pm discussion about where to find good seeds(is that the term?) for various tv series.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:23 pm 
Midnight Chameleon

tabath wrote:
Well I dl 'd azureus and found heroes ep6 which I dl'd. Now I know the basic principle of how torents work but not how to maximise the download speed. I'm on an %gb cap with my isp at the moment so I don't want to be upload too much when running the client. How much should I expext to upload with every download. For heroes I think I uploaded 380 gb to 352 gb downloaded. Is this normal ? What arfe the best setiings for the sppeds? I wqas gennerally gettin about 20 to 30 kbits per sec down. Any help on other features I should look at would be appreciated as would a pm discussion about where to find good seeds(is that the term?) for various tv series.

Where upload is concerned you have to be careful if you limit how much you upload people/seeds/download sites (if you have login for certain sites to download certain material) will lable you a scrounger.

If you have Azures there are two things I found useful:-
a) Configuration Wizard this helps to ensure that your upload/download limits don't cause you to have bandwidth throttle.
b) If you look at the your download speed on an average set your upload to be max of half download speed while you are downloading. And max of 3/4 when not downloading. (Example - If your download speed is 100kb/s then set your upload speed to be 50kb/s when downloading and 75kb/s when not.

2. If you leave your computer on for a long period of time the upload will be larger. If it takes 4hours to download heroes but you leave it on overnight that means your UPLOAD is using connection for 8hours so it will be more.
In the most part I believe that all ISP where DSL is concerned only limit your download limit not so much your upload. If so look at your ration to download limit and upload limit and If your download limit is 30GB and your have an upload limit of 10GB then the solution I used above would change to ensure that if you download speed is 100 then set your uploaded speed to be less than 25.

If you click on TOOLS and then OPTIONS and then TRANSFER you will see a list of options wher eyou limit the global max of upspedd. Meaning if you have 5 torrents sharing then the maximum global is what you set it at / 5 torrents.

The major thing to look at is how much time you leave your pc connected to azures AFTER your download is completed. If you let someone get the same amount as you (so downloaded = 352MB and uploaded = 352MB this is the best way to ensure that everyone is happy, but sometimes (again depeending on your limits) this can't be done but if you allow them to download off of you for the same time you downloaded off of someone then the equality is spread.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:08 am 
Semi Retired

I personally use Utorrent, I used to use Azureus, but it's kind of overly complicated for most peoples needs, and Utorrent uses really minimal system resources on your computer, I used to get a lot of system lag problems using Azureus.

Utorrent also has a good build in set-up function to help optimise it to your type of internet connection, as for upload, you may end up being called a lecher, but only upload what you can afford to upload, so pick a rough figure you comfortable with, and stick with it.
Some people (like me) pay for their uploads, so I have to really limit mine or I'd never be able to DL fuck all.

In terms of good sites to find TV shows, these days I use eztv for most stuff, it's probably one of the best sites for content on the net.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:17 am 
Harmony

Thanks for your replies Cham and Bishop. I will play around with it for a few days with what you told me and see how I get on with the download spped and sourcing shows. I will also check whether uploads are tracked by my isp, if they're not I have no real reason not to continue seeding for a few extra hours :)

I may be back asking for futher advice.

Thanks peeps!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:42 am 
Semi Retired

The 'good' internet provider don't meter your uploads, I really need to find a better provider, then I won't feel lick such a leech myself...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:12 am 
Midnight Chameleon

See I'm like Bishop (kinda) I get an upload limit but after that limit it just get FAPPED (Satellite internet downside) back to dial up on both my download and upload so again I monitor what I download and how long I see for cos otherwise I end up paying for a connection I cant utilize.

Most ISP that use DSL wont limit your Upload amount but will throttle it if you go to high, this is fine as if the throttle your upload it will stop you sharring so much but may also slow your download speed a little. As Bishop said if you are branded a leecher from certain site then there isn't much you can do the major thing to look at though is how much time you allow others to dl off of you.

I have UTorrent and that itself worked fine when I had XP but now I have Vista Azures gives me less issues and also dl faster.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:20 am 
Harmony

I've checked and my isp does include uploads in my monthly allowance. In fact I get a breakdown per day of uploads and downloads if I log into the control panel of my account . I'm going to investigate the possibility of using my brothers connecton using realvnc or something similar since he has an unmetered allowance!

Offline Profile